Tuesday 3 January 2012

Why I haven't been honest

So here's the deal: I haven't been completely honest with this blogging business.

A few months ago, as the end of the year was approaching, and with it the end of my maternity leave, I started dreaming about being a stay at home mum and still being able to contribute to the family income. I looked online and found out about these individuals who had made a fortune (ok, a reasonable income) blogging.

Image Credit
So I thought I'd give it a go. I had visions of going viral and companies paying me to advertise their products on my page. Yeah, kind of funny now. And I do feel a bit silly for even thinking that was a possibility.

The new year has come and I haven't quite gone viral. So it's back to work for me. Not without a sad heart...
 
When I first started blogging, I wanted to write honestly about different topics. I wanted this partly to be my safe space where I could write whatever crossed my mind without worrying about what others thought and a place where I could be me. Not the psychologist with the poker face who can't say what she really thinks or feels.

I managed that to a certain extent. But the truth is, I was so concerned about increasing my readership (because that's what you need for companies to pay you to advertise their products), that I carefully thought about what I was writing. See, I was concerned that writing about my thoughts on abortion for example may lose me a few followers.

So a lot of topics were watered down or outright dumped.

However, something good is happening. Now that I'm giving up on making an income out of this, it doesn't matter whether or not I have a lot of readers (although it does matter to my ego! Lol!). This means I am now free to write exactly what I think. My priority now is to use this space to share with you, some of my thoughts and fears and failures and successes.
Not to make an income.

So I won't be blogging quite so often anymore. I'll write when I feel like it. When I have something to say. Phew! What a relief to not have to try and come up with a new topic EVERYDAY!

I'll probably also be posting some images, funny or inspirational on my Facebook page. I won't flood your wall, promise.

If you want to stick around and hear about it and perhaps share some of your fears and failures, awesome! If not, it was really nice "meeting" you. And thanks for your support over the last few months.

Bring on 2012!