Thursday 22 December 2011

How to improve your self-esteem in 5 minutes.

How's your self-esteem at the moment?
Feeling on top of the world?
Love your body?
Think you are a good person?
Happy with your role as a parent/partner/professional?

If you are anything like me, you go through phases of feeling like you really have owned your place on earth and can justify your existence, and at other times, you feel completely and utterly useless as a parent, you question your skills at your job and look at yourself in the mirror and wonder where those love handles came from!

Well, when I'm having one of those days, one thing I like to do is to look back at my achievements. Sometimes I look at what I've achieved that day and sometimes I go all the way back to the last 10 years.

It doesn't have to be any major achievements. Something as small as "managed to not kill the plant (even if it was a cactus)" is something!

So now that we are almost at the end of 2011, it's time to look back at the year. Here's my list of achievements (in no particular order) (Gosh isn't this egocentric! Oh well, it's MY blog!)


The little human I created -
bub a few minutes old.

- Had a baby (that's big when you think about it - I created another human being!
- Got a promotion - albeit a small one.
- Started blogging.
- Put together lots of pieces of furniture.
- Made Christmas advent calendars (I am not very crafty!)
- Helped a few people along the way (patients).
- Completely planned a surprise holiday overseas (hubby normally does that).
- Ran workshops.
- Lost all my baby weight.
- Taught my toddler to write his name, say thank you and draw circles.
- Supported hubby through some very difficult times.
- Decorated my baby's nursery complete with painted wall art.

As I said, some of them are small and some huge, but I do think that we shouldn't underestimate our role as mums, partners or colleagues. You just don't know how much of an impact your actions will have.

As I look back at 2011, I see that despite my faults and mistakes, I have achieved good things.
Good things for me and good things for others.
 And that's all that matters in the end.

What have you achieved?