Monday 31 October 2011

On phobias.

Its Halloween, so here's confession number 5: I am shit scared of frogs.

And I mean SHIT scared!! I have a frog phobia. If I see one, I break into a sweat. Feel panicky. I feel like it's looking at me and about to pounce on me.
I have a hard time even seeing one on tv or in a magazine and even the cartoon ones make my skin crawl (you will note that there is no photo of one here).

In fact, just talking about it now is making me hyperventilate and feel slightly manic. I'm typing with one hand and holding a paper bag to my mouth with the other. (ok slight exaggeration, but you get the picture).

I have got no idea where my phobia comes from. It feels like it's always been there. I'm trying my hardest to not pass it on to my kids. If we are playing outside and I see one, I bring them in as calmly as I can (usually that involves dropping everything and rapidly making our way to the safety of our house whilst trying to convince the kids that playing soccer really isn't that much fun and telling them that we'll go outside again when daddy comes home in a slightly high pitched voice).

And it doesn't matter how big or small the frog is, they are all as equally terrifying to me! And heaven forbid one gets in my shoe!!

I have got no intention of seeing a shrink to sort this one out. I know exactly what they'd do: they would gradually expose me to the source of my fear. First by talking about it, then showing me photos of it, getting me to touch a photo of it and eventually HOLD ONE!!!!!!!!!!

No WAY!

I'll happily live with my phobia of frogs thank you very much!



What irrational fears do you have?

5 comments:

  1. Ever since having had the children, I have projected all my fears onto them. They can't even walk without me saying "Be careful, don't walk too fast you might fall and crack your head open!" Stupid, Irrational. Thank goodness my husband has the sense to pull me up on it whenever I become a little too nutso about it. Although, them hurting themselves is always at the back of my mind. I don't want to leave them with anyone, just say, god forbid they take them on something recklessly dangerous like a merry go round! I'm getting better. Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and cockroaches!! Aaarrghh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing the power that our mind can have isn't it? We know it's irrational, but cant help but be scared! It fascinates me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anna, thanks for visiting my blog.
    Frogs seems an unusual phobia, I haven't come across it before. Strange also that you don't know where it came from, that you feel as though it has always been there. I guess that some phobias have a starting point and a reason, others have always been there, or sometimes they just seem to appear out of no where. The mind is a strange place!
    I am fearful of heights. It is something that has crept up on me over the years, but a couple of years ago my husband got me to climb a ladder to look inside the ceiling of the house. I didn't think twice and just climbed up, then after a couple of seconds at the top my heart started racing, and I thought I was going to faint, I knew I just needed to get down. I try and avoid it now.
    My mum developed a fear of bridges many years ago, and she blogged about it a while ago, http://takeawaysoulfood.blogspot.com/2011/09/changes.html
    you might find it interesting :)
    Lovely to meet you,
    Sannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by Sannah! And thanks for the link to your mum's blog. I'll be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Aaaah, you are leaving your opinion! I love it!