Monday 28 November 2011

Making a difference... one starfish at a time...

The starfish story goes something like this...

A man was walking along the beach at dawn, when he came accross a young woman throwing starfish into the ocean.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"Throwing the starfish back into the ocean. The sun is about to come up and the tide is out. They will die if I don't throw them back."

"But, there are thousands of starfish along this beach, saving a few won't make a difference!"

At which point she bends down, picks up another starfish and throwing it back into the ocean says "it makes a difference to THIS starfish... and THIS starfish... and THIS starfish"

Image credit

I still get goosebumps when I hear that story.

It is the story that has kept me going when I saw mothers grieve the loss of their child.

It is the story that gave me hope when a little boy was sent back into the care of his abusive parents.

And it is the story that comforted me when a little girl died alone in a hospital because her family had abandonned her.

We cannot save everyone. But if we can make a difference in one person's life, then perhaps we can justify our existence.

Linking this one up to Jess from Diary of a SAHM for IBOT